Sunday, March 23, 2008

Rucky Chucky Roundabout 50k, the day after

OK, so I'm on my butt for a 7am to midnight call center shift today, a beautiful Easter Sunday, during which I get consults from phone advice nurses. I could tell you sometimes funny, sometimes horrifying stories, about this part of my job, but I'd probably get in trouble. Then I would have no job and then no money to pay entry fees for ultra races.

I didn't sleep very well last night. I think it was the two Red Bulls I drank post race around 2pm yesterday. Or maybe it was the lasting high of totally surprising myself by winning this year's Rucky Chucky Roundabout 50k. I think this means I can say I was the green dinosaur, and not just to my kids.

I'M THE BIG GREEN DINOSAUR! ROWR!!!



In any case, around 10pm tonight I may feel much more exhausted and uncomfortable than I did yesterday while climbing that killer hill in the last miles of the race. Especially since I won't have the anticipation of finishing something momentous and the subsequent elation. I guess I'm getting paid to do this (and occasionally working on the blog in between calls), but really, it's beautiful out, my kids are home...

But the best thing about the race was that I didn't sacrifice a great family getaway trip. For the first time since last year's Tahoe Rim Trail races, I managed to combine running with family recreation. Thursday we stayed in Auburn, Friday we went up to Sugarbowl. By his request, my toddler went to ski school and did well enough to ride the Magic Carpet lift, while my wife and I took turns going down the bigger slopes while the other stayed with the baby. The only thing I missed was my son's first egg hunt on Saturday, the day of the race, but actually they got there too late and he was too busy petting the rabbits.



More trip and race details later!

Rucky Chucky Roundabout 50k 2008 Race Results

The above results page says "67 degrees." Hmm, sure felt hotter than that in the sun at the end. And I got done early.

Other bloggers that will probably post on this race, days before I get around to finishing my report, alphabetical order by last name. They will probably have better race photos anyways.

Scott Dunlap
Peter Lubbers (gave me a ride from Auburn to Foresthill--thanks!)
Tony Overbay
Catherine Sullivan (volunteered at start/finish--thanks!)

If you've blogged or will blog about this race, please comment and I'll add a link to your blog.

1st published 3/23/08 at 3:45pm

18 comments:

jaltevers said...

Sweet man, congrats! I doubt I'll ever race an ultra but I visit your blog and Scotts blog on a regular basis, and it gets me motivated to get out and run/bike/climb! Thanks. Congrats again.

willgotthardt said...

Nice work Mark...Godzilla comes to mind...congrats.

Will G.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Hey Mark.... saw ur comment --LOL amen to frooking stupid response :-)

Look forward to meeting you at KM100
and watching you go bye & bye & bye me...oh wait, by the third BYE you will be done and showered-haha

CONGRATS on ur WIN!! Great JOB!! Love the kids ski pic too.

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

Congratulations, Mark! That's amazing, especially considering the lack of aid during the first and last 13 miles.

I saw Bev Anderson-Abbs came in third. I actually got to share the trail with Alan out here this weekend. It was a great time!

Hope you got to catch up on your sleep!

-Dave

Steve Ansell said...

Nice job, Mark! That's awesome. Congratulations.

Scott Dunlap said...

Dude, you were killing it out there! Nobody could catch Quadzilla Tanaka. ;-)

Maybe that's the secret - go snowboarding all day first! My watch read 81 degrees in the canyons, btw, so I think it was a bit warmer in sections.

Congrats, Mark! I have one good photo of you and will post it soon.

SD

rdljon said...

Mark,

I had know idea when I e-mailed you yesterday that you had won the race. Congrats. You are in line for an awesome result at Kettle if you make it out there. See you in six weeks.

Michael Kanning said...

Oh %*@#!!!!!!!!! Nice work, congratulations on the commanding win! What a dinosaur!

I like how you made us click on the results to discover that you won. But no photos? Were you wearing the cow suit? :)

Look forward to the full report.

-Michael

Tony Overbay said...

Mark, way to go! Great meeting you in person, especially with the first "meeting" being seeing you in first at the turnaround and yelling out "MarkTanakaTonyOverbayYou'reInFirstPlaceWayToGo!"
Great talking with you, Scott and Peter afterward as well. I'm sitting down right now to write up my report, hopefully post it in the next day or two. Great win, tough course, good times!

Rick Gaston said...

No, no Mark. Keep the job, we like seeing you at races. Nice job winning another race. Like how you and Scott are taking care of the fam and still tearing it up out there. Will there be a green dinosaur costume in your future?

Baldwyn said...

Congrats on the win, Mark!!! And congrats on pulling off the family outing-race weekend!

Peter Lubbers said...

Congrats again Mark.
I posted my story on the blog and there's a picture of you, too:
http://runlaketahoe.blogspot.com/
Peter

Gretchen said...

Killer Mark, nice job on the win! Thanks for checking up on me. I did indeed take a serious winter hibernation...but am back at the running now and hoping to be at a race or two soon here. Currently I am suffering from blogging inertia. Terrible disease, don't catch it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Mark,
a race very well done, good job. Sounds like things just happened, that's great. Anyway I am looking forward to seeing you at Miwok.

Thomas Reiss

Rajeev said...

Mark,

You are laugh out loud funny. Thank you for always making my day with your humor-filled race reports.
Congratulations on a superbly run race.

Rajeev

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

How I wish I could run as fast as Karyn Hoffman...but alas, no. That's actually Karyn and her husband Mike.

Kathy Martin

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Thanks, Kathy, for the info! I kind of suspected I didn't have her name right (especially since no male finisher with the last name of Martin). I've corrected the photo caption.

Anonymous said...

No problem. A moment of glory for me to see my name under the picture of a really fast woman runner! :-)