Tuesday, March 31, 2009

AR50 Gloria Takagishi article

In the astronomically improbable event that you read this blog and not Scott Dunlap's, here is a link to the Pacific Citizen's recent article about Gloria Takagishi, the only person to have run all 29 American River 50 mile Endurance Runs-- and her 30th running this Saturday, April 4th.

The weekly national publication of the Japanese American Citizens League, Pacific Citizen covers Pan-Asian-American news, as well as advocates for broader humans rights issues. They interviewed me a few months after I won my first Kettle Moraine 100 mile in 2006. I thought that if the editor was going to interview me, she should also interview this more noteworthy veteran runner, whose name I've always noticed on the AR50 website. Also, since she is usually still running when I leave Auburn after the run, I've never had a chance to talk to or congratulate her. So I suggested to Caroline Aoyagi-Stom she do this interview with Gloria, who as Scott notes, get bib #1 this year.  I still haven't met her, but at least I got to pay tribute with a quote.

I'll try to get my Lake Sonoma 50 report done soon, and before my next (mis)adventure...

Good luck everyone running this weekend, especially those doing their first 50 miler!

3 comments:

trailsnail said...

Mark, My husband would say that "astronomically improbable" is normal for me...LOL...so it isn't surprizing that I would end up with this one as my first post here. I do read Scott's blog, too, but I happened to make the astronomically improbable choice to read yours first ;). Gloria is amazing and definitely deserves an interview! I thought the Big Sur Marathon (BSIM- road) "Grizzled Vets" are amazing to have done 23 BSIM's in a row since its inception, but her feat is even more amazing! Thanks for the article. BTW, my husband (also an ER doc) and I think that you are pretty amazing, too, the way that you can juggle training and racing these ultras with family and a demanding work schedule. We live in PA now, but I grew up in Walnut Creek and lived in the Stanford area for 7 yrs before moving. We just did our first trail 30K with PCTR (Pirate's Cove) while training for BSIM (my second time and likely my last). It was great! You (and Scott and others in the trail running scene) have helped inspire this 50 plus pure sprinter to try to experience the joys of distance trail running. Congrats on your winning ways and hope to meet you at an event sometime (I hope to be doing more PCTR's this year). Ann (& Gary)

Baldwyn said...

Well...I've run all the SJ R&R half marathons so far! I wonder if she knew 30 years ago she'd end up being the only all-timer. Really makes me wonder what our ultra-community will look like in 30 years. I'm sure just as cool, only full of young whipper-snappers who don't know their place.

Rick Gaston said...

Great article. I hope she continues for another 30 years at AR50.